Ministry of Education, Secondary Education Union sign agreement ending crisis
09/02/2019 19:18, TUNIS/Tunisia

(TAP) - An agreement ending the crisis of secondary education was signed Saturday afternoon between Minister of Education Hatem Ben Salem, Deputy Secretary-General of the Tunisian General Labour Union (UGTT) Hfaiedh Hfaiedh and Secretary-General of the General Union of Secondary Education Lassaad Yacoubi, in the presence of Noureddine Taboubi, Secretary-General of the Tunisian General Labour Union (UGTT) and Secretary General of the Government Riadh Mouakher.

Speaking on the occasion, Taboubi criticised the attempt by "some political parties", without naming them, which, according to him, wanted to “exploit the outcome of the crisis” through its announcement to the media.

The agreement was made possible by the efforts of UGTT and Prime Minister Youssef Chahed, he pointed out.

For his part, Minister of Education has praised the efforts of the Prime Minister, the Secretary General of UGTT, the General Union of Secondary Education and its officers, stressing the commitment to consensual approach, in order to preserve the public school, one of the major achievements of the social system in Tunisia.

"We will make extraordinary efforts, in cooperation with the teachers, to ensure a normal return to the exams," Ben Salem said.

He added that a pedagogical committee was created within the Ministry of Education to ensure the good performance of the rest of the school year, this, in addition to the use of experts to overcome the aftermath of this crisis, in the interest of students.

Riadh Mouakher, for his part, said that the initialing of this agreement would have no impact on the major financial balances of the state, highlighting the importance of the role of public education as a springboard.

For his part, Lasaad Yaacoubi announced that after the signing of this agreement, the general union of secondary education has decided to put an end to the sit-in of teachers at the headquarters of the Ministry of Education that has lasted for weeks and suspend the boycott of the second-quarter exams.

The Sector Administrative Committee for Secondary Education had announced earlier in the day approval of new proposals from the government, including the one related to the retirement at age 57, as well as the promulgation of a new bonus for the benefit of high school principals and directors.

The approved proposals also concern the integration of the specific bonus into the basic salary, starting in the year 2021 and the approval of a 20% increase in the budgets of middle and high schools.

More
Twitter Updates Newsletter Signup Contact Us

If you wish to receive our newsletter, register below.


tel: 71889000
fax: 71883500, 71888999